Posted date: 16 Jul 2014
Todays the day – 4th August!
News of Prince William & Archbishop of Canterbury contributing to the Greater Love project.
We have some great news about the Greater Love project. There’s been a tremendous response from churches and men’s groups.
Is yours one of them?
Many will be marking the date of 4th August to commemorate the centenary of the start of Britain’s involvement in World War One.
If you haven’t yet ordered the Greater Love DVD, that comes packed with resources and video clips to help run a WW1 commemoration event, there’s still the time to do so.
It’s a great DVD that can be used for men’s groups, church services and includes some great interviews with those in active service, some really moving material and a Gospel piece which is a great resource for those putting on commemorative events, and Silent Night carol services this year.
We recently heard that Prince William, President of the Football Association, will write an introduction to the Silent Night Carols programme. The Archbishop of Canterbury is also writing an endorsement.
Premiership clubs are keen to be involved and want to give the Active Service Gospel to supporters at the carol services. We expect at least 100 stadia to hold Silent Night Carols services and hundreds of churches, schools and community groups.
- New verse and chorus of Silent Night written by Nick Herbert & Ben Cantelon (read the lyrics here).
- Versions being recorded in different styles including a Motown version.
- Version by opera singer, Stuart Pendred in English and German.
- Stuart to sing the carol at the Royal Albert Hall Salvation Army Christmas event.
- Tearfund sponsoring free 16-page programme for Silent Night carol service guests in sports stadia etc.
- 20,000 more copies of the Greater Love booklet are being printed as the first 30,000 print-run has been sent out.
- Churches to mark the centenary with candlelit vigils.
- Some Anglican dioceses planning to give the Active Service Gospel to every school child in the area.
- 190,000 copies of SGM Lifewords’ Active Service Gospel have been ordered to help churches to point people to Jesus and his ‘greater love’.
- SGM Lifewords’ have made videos to use at Commemoration services - watch here.
- SGM Lifewords have also printed a new Remembrance Prayer Card, which slips inside the Gospel – find out more here.
- HOPE Together’s Silence - our new full-colour 16-page A5 booklet to help people engage with God in a new way in the Two Minute Silence. Click here for details.
- Bible Society has produced Hear My Cry, a selection of readings, hymns and prayers.
- CWR has published Running into No Man’s Land - a new biography of Woodbine Willie. Find out more here.