Posted date: 19 Nov 2013
International Men's Day
Tuesday 19 November is International Men's Day.
It’s not an officially sanctioned United Nations day but it’s now recognised in over 60 nations around the world, so let’s get behind it!
The 2013 annual theme is:
Keeping Men and Boys Safe
The five challenges for 2013:
- Tackling male suicide
- Keeping men and boys safe to allow them to become tomorrows role models
- End tolerance of violence towards men and boys
- Boost mens life expectancy by keeping men and boys safe from avoidable illness
- Keeping men and boys safe by promoting fathers and male role models
The press release from the global International Men’s Day Committee can be found here.
Here are some useful links:
- Carl Beech has written a blog to highlight the issues men face today
- An article in The Telegraph on 'Do we really need an International Men's Day?'
- The IMD website with the 2013 theme 'Keeping Men & Boys Safe'
- The UK website for IMD
- More information on IMD from Wikipedia
As suicide is one of the major issues amongst men, here is a short film of how Jesus can transform someone who is suicidal:
Next year, International Men's Day will be Wednesday 19 November 2014, put it in your diary now!